Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Camp Spofford

I have been attending Black Rock Congregational Church for the past few months and have come to love their Sunday night Sanctuary service. It is a great time for community with other people my age. This past weekend was their semi annual weekend retreat at Camp Spofford in New Hampshire. I met Kendra, Adam, Ed and Tyler at the church and we carpooled the (supposedly) two and a half hours to Hew Hampshire. Our first stop was at CVS to get dramamine because Adam was getting carsick. Next we stopped at the Millford mall for dinner. About an hour after we left the mall it was very dark and very foggy, so I pulled off the road so that someone else could drive. This took a little longer than planned because everyone had to go to the bathroom. We made it about another thirty minutes before we stopped, again, for another bathroom break. We filled the time with question games and music from the 90's. By the time we made it to Camp it was 9:30pm and our first session was about to start. The theme for the weekend was TRUE(ish). Discovering the things we hold true about God and the Bible that might not necessarily be biblical. It reminded me of some of my freshman classes at NWC. Friday night we all played games and made the mistake of starting a round of spoons. I have played this game many times, and I have always looked back on these memories with happiness. Everyone sits in a circle at a table with four cards in their hands. There are 5 spoons (if you play with 6 people) in the middle of the table. You pass cards around until someone gets four of a kind, in which case they can grab a spoon. Once one has been taken everyone else can grab one. The one person who did not get a spoon now has "S" and so it continues until they have SPOONS, and then they are out. Playing with Ed, Tyler, and Matt meant that four of a kinds would be faked, spoons would be thrown across the room, and people would be tackled. It didn't take long for all the girls to be eliminated.

Saturday morning we had another session about the attributes of God, who we think He is, and who the Bible says He is. That afternoon we has time to hang out and socialize. I went sledding, which was really icing, due to all the melted snow and sheets of ice that was now covering the hill. The guys were working on a jump at the bottom of the hill, which caused one to go flying onto the hard ground. I made the mistake of going down on two tubes with Jess and Ed. We hit the jump, flew through the air, and landed without the tubes. I ended up on the bottom and hit my head on the ice. Flat on my back, I opened my eyes to a group of people hovered over me asking if I could move. Aside from a soar head I had no real injuries. Not bad considering last year a girl broke her back while sledding. Had I had that knowledge earlier, I might have forgone sledding.

Saturday night we had another session and then more card games. My friend Tyler and I discovered we both knew how to play 500, and talked two more people into learning how. The more daring people played spoons again. Every once in a while spoons would go flying overhead, followed by a mob of screaming people. Sunday we had one final session then headed home.

No comments: