A year later, I was in a cab on my way to Arlington, Virginia for an interview the following day for a Prayer Coordinator role at International Justice Mission, a job (and an organization) I did not feel remotely qualified for. I was sure there had been a huge mistake and hadn’t the slightest clue to what I was doing. Ed had called after I landed and spent the 45 minute cab ride giving me interviewing advice and tips.
Are you going to be joining them for their 11am corporate prayer?
Yes, I assume so.
Not to freak you out, but there is a chance they will ask you to pray…considering you are interviewing for a Prayer Coordinator position.
Huh..I hadn’t thought about that. And if I wasn’t nervous before, I sure was now. I am a huge fan of prayer, but the idea of praying in front of 150 IJM staff during an interview was not something that calmed my nerves.
When I got to my hotel that night, I sat down and starting flipping through my Bible, asking God for wisdom in what I would pray for. I opened to the Beatitudes and was skimming through when Matthew 5:9 jumped out at me. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God. How fitting- here I was about to go visit an organization of people who were fighting every day to bring peace to this world. I pray for people living in slavery, for women who are being held in brothels, for children who are forced to be child soldiers on the frontlines in Uganda….but rarely do I think about the people working to end that injustice. The countless men and women who have sacrificed so much to live oversees, who are working undercover, who are running aftercare homes for survivors because they believe restoration is possible.
The peacemakers.
I went to bed that night confident that if they did ask me to pray, at least I had a verse in mind. I will admit that I was relieved that when, the following day while walking into prayer, I was told I would have to stand as they introduced me, but I was not expected to say anything.
After a short welcome, a woman stood up to say that today they would be saying goodbye to an IJM staff, and per their custom, whenever someone is leaving their supervisor speaks during prayer about their time at IJM. Amy started talking about Kyle and said that as she was praying about what to say on his last day, one verse kept coming back to her. Blessed are the peacemakers, for their shall be called children of God. And that's when I knew. I knew I was not equipped or deserving of this opportunity, but I also knew that this is where I was supposed to be. Every day I am amazed at His faithfulness, His provision, and His love.
This has not been an easy journey. Anything but, actually. The plans I had for my life after returning from California look far different than where I am today. Despite the struggles and the heartbreak and letting go of what I thought my life looked like, I have never doubted that this is God’s will for my life right now.
And there is no sweeter place to be than in the center of God’s will.
No comments:
Post a Comment