I know, I am really bad at blogging. It has been a crazy few months. Here is a brief overview of the last 3 months of my life.
{August}
I spent most of August with my family in Minnesota. I was able to go to Michigan for a few days to spend time with my good friend, Kendra. Then we drove from Michigan to Connecticut where I had an interview for a potential job in Hartford. It was great to be in New Haven for a few short days and see some old friends.
Adam also moved to Fargo to start Grad School. I was lucky enough to be around to help him move in. He even let me unpack and organize his entire apartment :)
Back in June I had applied for a job with International Justice Mission, an organization I always joked about as being my dream job since the first day I heard of them. Needless to say, I thought it would take a few years of working in the non-profit world before I would ever hear back from them, despite my applications (if all else failed, I was hoping to get points for persistance).
I got an email asking for a phone interview for the Prayer Mobilization Coordinator position I had applied for. After interviewing over the phone with a recruiter and the Director of the Prayer Department, I flew to DC for an in-person interview. This was by far the most intense day of my life. I spent 6 hours at the office in one-on-one, 1-hour interviews. I was able to attend their daily 11am prayer and get to know people I would be working with. It was very humbling to be there for the day and see what an incredible organization it is. On my way to the airport I received a phone call with a job offer. I definitely didn't see that coming.
{September}
September was a bit of a whirlwind. As soon as I accepted the job with IJM, I needed to coordinate finding an apartment, moving all of my things (which were in 3 separate locations in 2 states) and shipping my car, along with booking flights and hotels. Luckily I talked Kay into coming to DC with me for a few days to go apartment shopping. We spent 2 days exploring the area and I was lucky to quickly find a lovely apartment less than 10 minutes from work. Hiring movers and car-shippers happened in the next 24 hours, and then I was home to pack up everything I owned. While I am sure my dad was sad to see me move again, I know the day the movers took everything that I had been storing at my parents house and loaded it into a (very large, bright pink) semi-truck was a very happy day. The day after the movers left, I left for the east coast again. Luckily my car was already there, but it would be another 8 days before my furniture and belongings arrived.
I had a few days here before starting work, so Kendra came to spend the weekend. Since my apartment consisted of an air mattress, we spent most the time exploring.
{October}
I just completed my 4th week at IJM and I am still in a bit of a daze. There is a lot to learn and catch up on, but my team has been great at explanations and trainings. I am still adjusting to working in an office...where I have a desk and have to wear suits and sit in meetings...this is all very new to me. But my apartment is unpacked and decorated (big surprise) and it is starting to feel like home.
Last weekend I went to Atlanta for the 6th annual reunion with 3 girls that I was in Africa with. It was a wonderful weekend away with good friends.
That's all for now, I promise to write more.
*If you don't know about what IJM is doing, you can learn more here.
*Sign up to receive weekly prayer emails here, and learn what you can be praying for in the field. I will also be helping to write them :)
*Obama recently spoke at CGI- it's the first time a president has ever made me cry. Watch it here!
No comments:
Post a Comment