Ever since last Wednesday everyone has been nervous about the snowstorm that was supposed to hit Fairfield on Friday. They were predicting 6-8 inches of snow to come Friday afternoon and evening. This normally wouldn’t be a problem, but the people who live in Connecticut are a little wimpy. I was also hosting the Ugly Christmas Sweater Party for my church’s small group on Saturday night. If the rumors were true, people might still be stuck inside their houses come Saturday night. Friday morning I went upstairs to find that the snow had yet to start. The yard was completely green, and if I didn’t know better I would have thought it was October. Halley and Carter come running down the stairs, excited because school had been canceled. The entire county of Fairfield canceled school for the day because there was a possibility of snow later in the day. Are you kidding me? A possibility? It took a while to explain to Halley why there was no school if there was no snow. Around noon it did start snowing, and most businesses were closed early. Friday night my friend Ed called to see if I wanted to go to another Ugly Christmas Sweater party in Fairfield. We took his Jetta despite my insistence that my Volvo Station wagon would handle very well in the four inches of snow. On our way up a slight hill his emergency ice flasher button went off and we were stuck. Even though I was chanting “I think I can, I think I can,” the car was not moving. So we backed down the hill for a running start. We finally made it up the hill and to the party. Brandt, who was hosting the party, told us we could stay over if we didn’t want to drive home in the awful weather. People here need to spend a few weeks in a Minnesota winter. Saturday night was my Ugly Christmas Sweater Party. Fondue, apple cider, and guitar hero made for a wonderful time. Monday school had a two-hour late delay because it is only 10 degrees here. That is positive ten degrees. Goodness.Wednesday morning I will be flying home to Minnesota! Two weeks of sleeping in, here I come.
No comments:
Post a Comment