On Sunday we left Arenal and headed to Monteverde. While it was only 15 miles away, there was a lake between us. We spent the morning driving around the volcano and lake.
There was some kind of bike race taking place that morning, so we passed many bikers along the way.
At one point we even stopped to watch a group of coati-mundi, a small raccoon-like animal with a long nose.
We arrived at our hotel mid-afternoon and dropped off our bags to go exploring. An evening in town for dinner and shopping was a wonderful way to end the day.
Monday was zip-lining day! This is something I had been wanting to do ever since we started planning this vacation, but I under estimated my love of heights. We were a group of about 10 other people 3 guides. They gave us a harness and a helmet and sent us outside for a test run. When I first heard about zip-lining I figured we would be sailing on a cable once or twice over the trees. We first practiced across the forest high above the air, then took a cable car up to the top of the cloud forest. There were few instructions, and before I knew it I was sailing 300 ft over the trees. We would zip-line, climb up a tall radio tower, and then zip-line back, ziz-zagging over the forest far below us. After 10 (ten!) runs, I was ready to be safely back on the ground.
On the way home we stopped at a little cheese shop that my mom had heard about. We had lunch and ice cream and then headed back to the hotel for time by the pool. We decided to stay in that night and ordered pizza and played cards. Adam and I went down to the lodge to use the internet, and when we returned my mom was standing by the door yelling, “just kill it!” while my dad took on the large scorpion that was on the floor. He won, and my mom called to request a different room.

No comments:
Post a Comment