Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Costa Rica: Days 1&2

On Friday morning I headed to the airport to catch a 9am flight out of JFK. The day before I went to the doctor to find that I had an ear infection, so lots of antibiotics and Nyquil made for a fast flight to El Salvador. After a 2 hour layover I boarded another flight to Costa Rica. My brother had been living there since January and my parents and I are going for a week to see him and travel the country. I landed safely and found them all outside in our newly rented SUV. We flew into San Jose but were planning on spending the first 2 days in Arenal, which is about 3 hours away.


Before leaving San Jose we stopped at Adam's host families house to meet them and swap out some luggage. Italia, Adam's host mom, was there with her 2 daughters and grandson. We got to see where Adam has been living and talk a bit (through Adam translating) with them before heading to Arenal.

It was dark by the time we left around 7pm and the SUV we rented was a manual, which made for an interesting 3 hour drive on very dark roads with no shoulder.

The next day we awoke to a beautiful landscape with mountains and flowers outside our room. We went down to the pool for breakfast and then spent the day sitting by the pool, reading, and relaxing. It was Adam’s 24th birthday so we went out for a wonderful dinner to celebrate. After dinner we sat on our porch and played cards while listening to the crickets.





No comments: