Tuesday, September 22, 2009

all cats go to heaven

Earlier this spring, Romeo, the Goodrich's cat, passed away. He had been at the vet for about a week, then came home and was very sick. They finally brought him back to the vet and had him put down. Every once in a while Carter mentions that Romeo is dead. Yesterday we were driving home from swimming lessons and he said..."Holly, you know Romeo dead?" I told him yes, I did. He told me that Romeo died, but then came home, and then died again. I realized that he equated Romeo going to the vet with him dying. He asked why he died, and I tried explaining how all animals and people die when they get older. "Where they go?" he asked. This led to a conversation about heaven. I tried explaining that when people die they go to a wonderful place where no bad things happen. "Oh...there no shots in heaven" Carter said. He is not a fan of going to the doctor and getting shots. "No, there are no shots in heaven" I replied. He thought about this for a moment and then said, "I think I been there before. I been to heaven."

No comments: