Monday, February 23, 2009

Skiing in Vermont

Last week Halley had the week off from school so we all went up to Vermont to go skiing for the week. Ramsey has a good friend from college who lives in Stowe, which is where the ski resort is, so we were able to stay with him. Everyone assumed I would know how to ski because I am from Minnesota, where there is snow 9 months out of the year. I had to remind them all that Minnesota is very flat. I think the last time I went downhill skiing was when I was in junior high. Ramsey has been skiing since he was 3, so he and Suzanne took my up on some beginner mountains the first morning. I was doing much better than expected and learned how to slow down and turn. We stopped a lot along the way and they gave me pointers. I was pretty proud of myself for not having fallen yet. I told them I would be fine on my own and so they went to find some more difficult slopes. I went up by myself and was doing ok, but I wasn't stopping at all and slowly picking up speed. Before I knew it I had collided into an older man and we both went flying. After a nice young man stopped to help me up I continued down the mountain, once again picking up speed and forgetting the tips on how to stop. I lost control, there was a big cloud of snow and poles, and I was once again on the ground. A guy and his 5 year old son stopped to help me. The kid remarked, "That was awesome! How did you do that?!" I wasn't thrilled to keep going but knew that if I stopped now I would never want to go back. I managed to make it down a few more times without falling. We had lunch at the lodge and then the kids got back from their lessons so we went down some easier slopes with them.

By the end of the week I was doing considerably better and even tested out some blue squares (which are the more difficult slopes). Ramsey wanted to take me up on some black diamonds, but I enjoy having use of both my legs and wasn't sure I would survive. I have to admit that I enjoyed the chair lift the most. Absolutely beautiful.

On the way back to Connecticut we stopped at the Ben and Jerry's factory. Carter thought we were going to visit Ben and Jerry themselves, and was a bit confused when they didn't make an appearance. We got to watch how they make, flavor, and pack ice cream, as well as sample the new cookies and cream ice. Gotta love Ben and Jerry.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I have skiied at Stowe, and have been to that Ben & Jerry's factory!! :) Also, I miss you like crazy.