Friday, November 4, 2011

Not For Sale


I am so excited to announce that I was recently accepted to participate in a 6-month fellowship program with ‘Not For Sale’ in Half Moon Bay, California. This January I will be packing up and moving across the country, and am excited for what God has in store.

When I was in college I spent 4 months living in Mukono, Uganda. I learned about plenty of injustices and issues that needed passionate people, but I never heard about anything that got me fired up. For the past 5 years I have been praying for God to give me a passion. I wanted something that would get me out of bed in the morning, that would get me fired up, and that I had no choice but to do something about, a passion I could not ignore.

Last year I heard a speaker who talked about sex trafficking. Present day slavery is a huge issue around the world and human trafficking has been slowly increasing, without much notice. I knew there were still brothels and prostitutes in parts of the world, but I was ignorant to the reasons behind it. I spent the next year researching everything I could about sex trafficking and slavery, and God has been slowly breaking my heart for this issue and the people who are trapped in it.

‘Not For Sale’ is a global organization that fights to end slavery in the world and creates new futures for survivors. NFS hosts many events around the US helping to educate people, raise funds, and get people involved. I will be assisting with operations and donor development, as well as organizational and administrative needs in the office.

I am so excited to be working alongside leaders in this movement and gaining skills to help in the fight against slavery.

No comments: