Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Meeting Bubba

This summer I am taking a leadership class through Black Rock Church. It is designed to help people who are interested in leadership roles in the church and different ministries expand their knowledge and experience. Each week we are given an assignment, readings, and journaling questions, as well as scripture that we are encouraged to memorize. A few weeks ago our assignment was to find a homeless person and take them out to lunch. While at first this was very intimidating, the more I thought about it the more excited I became. Jesus tells us to feed the hungry and clothe the poor, but when do I ever do that?

Lucky for me, Ed has a passion for homeless ministry, and I have even accompanied him out onto the streets of Bridgeport to hand out sandwiches and talk to people we meet along the way. He said he would come with me, but I would need to be the one to talk with people. We found a man who was looking through trash cans collecting bottles. We started talking with him, but he was very hesitant and probably questioned our motives. We told him we were going to get lunch and asked if he would come along. He turned us down but after a few more minutes of talking agreed that we could buy him lunch. He didn't want to eat with us, but we agreed to meet with him the following Sunday. He gave us his cell phone number and said we could call. Last Sunday my mom was in town and she and I want down to try to find him again. Sure enough, he was in downtown Bridgeport collecting cans. He was excited to see us and agreed to eat lunch with him. We got to hear his story and also answer some of his questions. We have agreed to make this a regular Sunday afternoon activity, and I am so excited to get to know him more and see what God has in store!

No comments: