Molly was bringing her boyfriend, Jeff, and not wanting him to feel left out as the only boy, we invited Ed! Ed and I left Connecticut on Sunday afternoon and spent the evening in Boston. We actually spent most the evening waiting in lines for tolls, and crashed at the hotel when we finally got in about 9pm. The next morning we picked up Molly and Jeff at the airport in Boston and then met Erin on our way up north. 4 hours later we reached the tiny lobstering community on the east coast of Maine. Emily met us at her house and we all changed into our suits to go swimming at the wharf. This is code for docks, which I realized later in the week. We took a boat (by we I mean me, everyone else swam in the frigid cold ocean) out to the floating dock used to keep lobster crates. We swam for a while and then headed back for a lobster dinner. I have never had lobster before, and sitting on Emily’s deck overlooking the ocean eating fresh Maine lobster with good friends is about as good as it gets. After dinner Emily’s dad took us for a ride on his lobster boat out to another point and we enjoyed s’mores by the fire.
The next morning we went for a boat ride out to the cliffs. Emily said we could jump off of them, but they were quite high. Emily, Jeff, and Ed all climbed the giant rocks and jumped off into the frigid ocean. It was pretty high, but the scariest part was making sure you cleared the rocks below you so you didn’t die on your way down. I was pressured into jumping, but once I climbed the rocks it was a little scary. I spent the next 20 minutes freaking out and being told (by the people safely on the ground who were not going to jump) that it wasn’t that bad and to stop being a baby. I finally jumped, fearing for my life, and managed to land safely in the ocean below. The water was freezing, but I was too relieved to be alive to notice. After cliff jumping we went to Emily’s island off the main shore. It was starting to rain and we were cold, so we headed back to the house for hot drinks and warm showers. 
The rest of our time there was spent swimming, eating, and catching up on life. It was so wonderful to see these girls again. They are always so refreshing and encouraging, and I only wish that I was able to spend more time with them during the year. Our three wonderful days were soon over and Erin, Ed and I headed back to Connecticut. It was a wonderful vacation and I was grateful for a break from my job as a soccer mom. We can’t decided weather to spend next year in Seattle with Molly or in Erin’s hometown in Pennsylvania (there were also some strong votes for Lake Ossawinnamakee again). On the way home Ed said that now understands why I talk so much about my amazing friends Emily, Erin and Molly.
1 comment:
well said! man, do I miss you girls.
Post a Comment